Thursday, February 9, 2017

January Favourites

“there are stars you haven’t seen, and loves you haven’t loved. there’s light you haven’t felt and sunrises yet to dawn. there are dreams you haven’t dreamt and days you haven’t lived and nights you won’t forget. and flowers yet to grow. and there is more to you that you have yet to know. G.C” 

I’m a worrier. I can say that for certain. I know it causes me a great deal of stress and upset. Yet, as hard as I might try, I cannot change it. Not for all the tea in China. If there was something to worry about, trust me, I’ve worried about it 10 times over and created a million different outcomes and each consequence following them. And the future is not a concern unnoticed. The future, in fact, is probably my biggest worry of all.

I want to have it altogether, now. I want to know what I want to do with my life, now. I want to be living and breathing it all, now. I don’t want to wait, I can’t handle that uncertainty. The worrying all the time of what is to come. But it isn’t the way to live. Constantly on edge, constantly in fear. There’s so much beauty in life, and yet I catch myself thinking of all the things that could go wrong. 

I’m learning to trust it though. Life. Trust that great things take time and one day it will all become mine, and in the meanwhile realise all the things I’m blessed to experience. Learning to walk blind, unaware of the next turn and when the path might become rocky, but walking down it regardless. Finally ending up where I was meant to be all along, through the good and the bad.

So relax into your journey, it’s a predestined path. Make February a month to be taken along with the current, instead of fighting it. Embrace the change and learn to love the uncertainty. Admire all the beauty whilst you’re on your way. 

Onto the favourites…


In true tradition, I received a new cookbook for Christmas. I've followed Niomi Smart for a long time and enjoyed watching her journey to eating a plant-based diet, and even embraced the abundance of fruit and vegetables myself. So her first book Eat Smart is a no brainer favourite for me this month.

This Laura Mercier Honey Bath Duo in Creme Brulee, makes an evening bath the most luxurious treat. I may come out of the bathroom smelling like a french patisserie, which admittedly just makes my sweet tooth 100x worse, but it's oh so worth it.

Finally, this poetry book, Milk and Honey, by Rupi Kaur has been my absolute favourite through January and probably for the rest of the year too. It's a collection of deeply moving poetry, comprised of heartbreak, feminism, self-love and healing. Some of her words really speak to me and bring me to tears, but they are some of the most beautiful and heartfelt words I have read in a long time. It's a must-read.

What were your January Favourites?

K

No comments:

Post a Comment