Wednesday, July 29, 2015

The Weekly Eat #1 + Bircher Muesli Recipe


Eat Better, Feel Better…

Here's a look at what I ate today:

Breakfast
8am: Apple and Cinnamon Bircher Muesli




We all hear it often enough, breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I also think it's the most exciting. But life is hectic and there's rarely ever enough time to sit down and eat a big, homemade breakfast, so we pick up easily alternatives in hungry-frenzies that are usually packed full of processed sugars and general nasties. These are going to spike your blood sugar levels and leave you craving the sweet stuff all day long.

This Bircher Muesli recipe is packed with oats, chia seeds and cinnamon all low in GI that are going to help stabilise your blood sugar levels, preventing that mid-morning sugar-crash and help to keep you full. You can also prep overnight and keep in a jar/tupperware to make for a quick and nutritious breakfast on-the-go.

Ingredients (Serves 1)

1/3 Cup Oats
2 Tsp Chia Seeds
100g Alpro Plain with Almond Yogurt
1/2 Apple Diced
Either 1/2 Cup Water (Or Almond Milk if you prefer it to be more creamy)
1/4 Tsp Cinnamon
To top
Fresh fruit
Nut Butter

Method

Mix together your oats, chia seeds, apple and cinnamon in a bowl with the soya yogurt and water. If you do prefer it to be creamier, you can use a dairy-free milk substitute in place of the water. 

Cover and leave to soak overnight in the fridge. If you’re planning to eat it on-the-go, go ahead and place it in a container.

In the morning, top with fresh fruit, nuts or nut butter to increase satiety. 

Post-workout Snack
11 am: Banana Coins with Peanut Butter



Usually I work out in the evenings, so without wanting to ruin my dinner, I just grab a protein shake, but as I went to the gym this morning, I wanted something a little more substantial to last me through until lunch. I sat down with the iPad and a mug of Positivitea “Thrive - Hibiscus, Strawberry & Cinnamon” tea which is specially blended (and all very fancy) for the chakras - check out their webpage here.
Also can't/won't promise that I did not dip back into the peanut butter jar.

Lunch
1pm: Rye Toast With Hummus + Veggies



Dinner
8pm: OhSheGlows Perfect Veggie Burger + Sweet Potato Wedges



As it was  Friday, I don't think you go wrong with your classic burger and chips with a healthier twist. I made a big batch of these veggie burgers to keep in the freezer to take out for BBQ's or quick dinners and cut up a large sweet potato into wedges. I skipped on the bun and had a naked burger with plenty of salad.

I also had a glass of white wine and watermelon and dark chocolate for dessert which wasn't photographed, but thoroughly enjoyed. 

Kay’s Kitchen Playlist:

Regina Spektor - Samson

No comments:

Post a Comment