Thursday, August 13, 2015

Food For Friends, Brighton

With darker nights approaching, I get this horrible sense of the Summer running away from me. I'm left in a sheer panic, realising I haven't done half the stuff I planned to when I watched the long break spread out in front of me. It turns out it's August, and between work, my days are diminishing. So with the sun finally shining again, Mum and I had spent the morning doing a spot of shopping down the Lanes in Brighton, to make the most of the fleeting Summer (or at least the very British version of it).

I have a list the length of my forearm of the most rave about places to grab food or eat in the city, but I suggested we sat down for lunch at Food For Friends, a vegetarian restaurant I had spent many a blogpost drooling over. We took advantage of the weather and their perfect people watching location and sat outside. Now with a great reputation for their flavoursome, home cooked food, with a menu that caters for a whole host of special dietary requirements (but don't be fooled - many a meat-eater has raved about this restaurant), our expectations were: 11/10.


And I can't say we were left disappointed. The food was delicious and the generous portions sizes were spot on. The staff were lovely and couldn't have been more helpful. 

Now Mum's a bit of a self-confessed haloumi addict, she's also not willing to much about it, and after catching a glimpse of their haloumi and portobello burger her decision was final. It came stacked in a brioche bun on top of fresh tomato, baby gem lettuce, gerkins and a red onion marmalade, served with triple cooked chips and a honey mustard mayo.



I went for one of their - many -  vegan options, the tahini marinated roast aubergine, stuffed with a delicious smoky chipotle pepper and tomato ragout, served with pan-fried saffron potatoes and courgette drizzled with a sweet pekmez dressing.



And even though we had all but demolished our food, we ordered two espresso shots with their homemade dark chocolate truffles to share, because we just couldn't resist. Now oh my goodness, these were the best things ever. So rich, but not too sickly, and they melted in your mouth like a lindt ball would, but I swear they tasted 10x better. I suggested that they start selling these immediately as it's sent me on a vegan chocolate truffle quest.


I also picked up this "I am SKINNY GREEN" juice from another Brighton health haunt, 42 Juice, to fuel my spin workout later in the day. 

And here's hoping I can fit in a few more days as lovely as this before the Summer is over.

K

No comments:

Post a Comment