Monday, January 16, 2017

Foods For Happiness

Happiness is a truly personal experience. How am I to know if the way I feel it, is the same as you? Do you feel it intensely like me, or is it just a comfortable fuzzy feeling always in the background? When I feel happy, I get a little shiver that ripples up through my spine, jerks my shoulders and goes right up and through the top of my head. I get a warm sensation that runs down from my forehead, down through my arms and right to the tips of my fingers. I smile, a lot (it’s a bit weird actually). And then for a second, I feel like I could cry, just because I’m so. bloody. happy. But however you feel your happiness, I’m sure we can all agree its one of the greatest feelings, is it not?



To me, happiness is so important. I really believe we are a reflection of the quality of our thoughts and morals, our lifestyles and how we choose to spend our time. But that is all, as I said, truly personal, and there is no right or wrong in the way we choose to live our lives. However, the quality of the food we consume can play a big part in supporting and aiding all the functions of our body to keep it running well, including our moods. Here are my top picks for foods that can help us to feel a little more happy:

Asparagus 
Asparagus contains an amino acid called tryptophan, which helps to create the feel-good brain chemical serotonin. 

Pumpkin Seeds
Like asparagus, pumpkin seeds contain that amazing amino acid tryptophan, helping us to feeling calmer. Sprinkle onto salads or onto fruit and yogurt for a serotonin hit. 

Cherry Tomatoes
Along with regular tomatoes, cherry tomatoes contain lycopene, an antioxidant which fights against depression causing inflammation. They make a great snack for when you're craving a little something sweet.

Mussels
These little shellfish’s are loaded with B12 vitamins that help produce brain chemicals that positively affect our moods and improve brain function.

Avocados
Avocados are also high in B vitamins to support the brain, and help to naturally balance out our hormones. Mash up and spread onto a slice of wholegrain toast for a snack when you need to relax.

Swiss Chard
Swiss chard is a fantastic source of magnesium, which has been associated with lower depression.

Eggs
Eggs are full of mood improving Omega-3 fatty acids. Poach and serve with steamed spinach for a punch of iron and folate.


Happy Eating

K

No comments:

Post a Comment